Tuesday, May 12, 2009

LIFE SAVORS

I was listening to the news the other day and it occurred to me that it was getting harder and harder to focus on the "good" rather than the "bad" that seems to be permeating the air waves. I then recalled an incident from my past.

Several years ago a colleague came into my office and snuggled up in the corner of the couch and began writing in a book. I asked her if she kept a diary. She said it was a journal and that she was writing her Life Savors. "Life Savers?", I asked, "are you writing about mints?" "No", she answered. "Not savers -- savors -- you know, those things that happen during the day that you want to savor -- to remember -- because they make life worth living."

Not long after that, Oprah introduced America to the concept of keeping a gratitude journal. Well, I did that for a while and then noticed I was writing down the same things all the time -- my family, my pets, my home, etc. etc. -- and so I gradually quit the practice.

As I listened to the news that evening, I pondered the difference between "life savors" and "gratitude". What I decided is that the things we are most grateful for seem to be more or less constant and easily taken for granted; but, those things one "savors" are the things that just happen and make life wonderful and sweet -- the unexpected hug from a young child, a compliment from out of nowhere, the kindness of a stranger who holds open a door in the wind. I also decided that one has to "look for" those things to savor or they are easily missed. It then occurred to me that if I was busy looking for my "life savors" I probably wouldn't spend so much time worrying about things I can't do anything about anyway.

So, my new resolution is to find at least 5 things a day to write down in my journal of "Life Savors". Want to join me? I think we'll begin to find the sweetness in life again. May your life be filled with so much goodness your list is endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment